The Story of Satyajit Ray, Ramesh Sippy and Sholay

This is a story I heard somewhere but I do not remember the source. I was told it in such a way that I tend to believe that it is true, in fact it was claimed to be a true story. But I, until this point, have not had the resources or the determination to find the trutth behind the story for myself. I must, however, admit that I like the story the way it is and if I come to know that it isn't true, I shall be sad because the story is some kind of a hero worship for me.

It is about the renowned film maker Ramesh Sippy when he came to visit the master of them all, Satyajit Ray in Kolkata.
Ramesh Sippy had just made the best movie of his career, Sholay. With the release of Sholay, the whole of India was caught in a frenzie never seen before. It was a blockbuster the likes of which was never to be seen again in Bollywood. It was the making of a megastar: with this film Amitabh Bachhan had become the heartthrob of millions. It was also the flm to give Bollywood the most notorious villain in its history. Amjad Khan had made a sensational debut. Dharmendra, the big star as he was had delivered one of his best performances and so did Sanjeev Kumar. There was not a flaw to be seen in the movie. Everyone was watching it over and over again and Ramesh Sippy was the proud creator of the masterpiece of his career.

Sippy had come to Kolkata on a business trip. He decided to visit Ray, the biggest and most respected figure in the entire Indian film fraternity. Sippy was tentative and nervous about meeting Ray but he was truly surprised to find the man comfortably approachable. They talked for some time about many things. Finally with some effort, Sippy managed to ask Ray the question he wanted to aak. He said, "Sir, I have just made a movie named Sholay. ave you seen it?"
"Yes."
"Did you like it Sir? I would definitely like to know what you think of it."
"You have made a good movie Mr Sippy but there is a problem with your film."
Sippy was taken aback. There was a problem with Sholay? No one had told him that. The whole country was watching the movie. "What Sir?"
"This is a film in present day India about a village in Central India infested by bandits and dacoits, right Mr Sippy?"
"Yes Sir. Absolutely."
"Do you think there is electricity in those parts? I don't believe you do. You have yourself shown Radha the daughter-in-law of the Thakur lighting oil lamps in the evening. Haven't you?"
"Yes Sir. I have."
"Then, Mr Sippy, how do you think water is pumped into the huge water tank at such a height where you showed Veeru jumping around trying to commit suicide?"

Sippy was awed by the observation power and the minuteness with which Ray noticed avery single detail of a film. He said, "I am flattered by the fact that my film is lucky enough that you have seen it with so much interest." Thank you Sir for your feedback."
I think this is a true story at least the essence of it, if not all the words which I have placed just to make it coherent and readable.

2 comments:

  1. yes!and only the Master could have done that, although I dont at all believe that ray liked Sholay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sippy should have replied, "But the tank's always empty - politicians promised both water & electricity to the village before an election, then there was a government grant for building the tank, the DM passed the order, the contractor erected it, collected his payment & vanished. Meanwhile, so far as the promise of electricity is concerned..."

    ReplyDelete